Updated: Sep 26, 2020
Easy Gluten Free Carrot Muffin Recipe
This is one of my favourite guilt free recipes. My Easy Gluten Free Carrot Muffins are so easy to make and are actually pretty healthy. Each muffin only has 8.3g of sugar, but I use the good kind of sugar. These gluten free carrot muffins are perfect for breakfast and as a little afternoon treat.
I use organic buckwheat flour because I think it is one of the best gluten free flours available. Addition of the cinnamon and vanilla mask the natural earthy taste of buckwheat. And addition of raisins and walnuts add more natural sweetness.
Buckwheat Flour for Baking
Buckwheat is very nutritious and considered a superfood by many according to Medical News Today. It is high in protein, fiber, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus and calcium, and even has a good amount of iron. It also contains vitamins such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folate, vitamin K and vitamin B-6.
It is also a very versatile flour, and makes lovely pancakes, breads and other baked goods.
This is the main ingredient of my Easy Gluten Free Carrot Muffins recipe. Grate 2-3 carrots and that should be enough. There is a lot of carrot in this recipe which means that if your kids don’t like vegetables, then this is a perfect way to get them to eat more carrots.
Carrots are high in vitamins A, C, K, A, antioxidants, dietary fiber, potassium, magnesium and more. They also contribute to your five a day.
It is best to use organic carrots, but carrot is considered one of these vegetables that don’t use a lot of pesticide to grow. And thus it is believed that peeling whole carrots removes a lot of the pesticides anyway. But if possible I still prefer to buy mine at a farmers market from an organic vendor.
Ingredients for Easy Gluten Free Carrot Muffins:
250g carrots, grated (roughly 2 large carrots)
160g buckwheat flour
160g soy milk (or any other plant milk)
120ml oil (I use organic cold pressed Irish rapeseed oil)
100g sugar (I use organic cane sugar)
30g walnuts, chopped
4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking powder
Method for Easy Gluten Free Carrot Muffin Recipe:
- Preheat oven to 175 C with the fan function on.
- Peel carrots and grate with the smaller side of the grater. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl mix together buckwheat flour, sugar, cinnamon and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl whisk together all wet ingredients such as soy milk, oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Whisk until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to the flour mix in the large mixing bowl and mix well until combined.
- Roughly chop the walnuts and add to the batter with raisins. Mix until walnuts and raisins are spread evenly into the batter.
- You will need a muffin tin for 12 muffins. Line the muffin tin with muffin casings.
- Bake at 175 C for 30-35 minutes. After 30 minutes do the skewer test, if the skewer comes out clean remove from the oven if not give another 5 minutes.
- The muffins will be slightly mushy when they are cooling down. For best results let them cool down for an hour or two before eating.
- They keep really well in airtight containers for 3 days, or alternatively freeze them and defrost overnight.
If you are looking to make indulgent cupcakes instead check out my easy recipe for cupcakes here.